Here’s an interesting factoid: In over five years of blogging, I’ve never made a straight up eggplant parmesan dish. I’ve stacked it, rolled it, and even stuffed it, but never just made a classic version.
As far as I’m concerned, there’s no reason to start today! This baked casserole comes as close, flavor wise, to the traditional dish though. It skips a lot of the work though and is a lot easier to serve.
The final dish has chunks of slightly charred eggplant and pockets of mozzarella that make it a super-addictive dinner and one that will keep you warm on these cold nights.
- 1 large eggplant (about a pound), cubed and salted
- 2 teaspoons herbs de provence
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces orzo pasta, cooked
- 8-10 ounces mozzarella, cubed
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper