When I was coming up for meals to make for my frozen week I did a lot of research on what types of dishes freeze well.
Lasagna came up on almost every google search and forum that I read as the best frozen meal.
The problem was that everyone had a different opinion about how to freeze lasagna correctly. Some said you shouldn’t freeze meat versions, some said you should freeze the lasagna before cooking it, some after.
I compiled all of this info in my noggin and came up with a great lasagna recipe that freezes very well. Also, I’m pretty sure that I came up with the best way for how to freeze lasagna! Feel free to debate if you want, but I’m pretty sure I nailed it.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 24 ounces cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 package (10-12 ounces) lasagna noodles
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil