Holy Mother of Deliciousness. What have I done? This might not look like the most delicious thing, but trust me, it’s pretty up there in terms of savory brunch dishes in my opinion. This could also have something to do with the amount of beers I consumed the night before I made this.
This dish is a great example of how you can elevate the flavors in a dish by substituting store-bought ingredients with homemade. Instead of using store-bought sausage for the filling, I used some homemade breakfast sausage from last weekend. I also made my own enchilada sauce instead of using the canned stuff.
- 1-2 Cups water (from soaking chiles)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 whole cloves, chopped really finely (or 1/2 Teaspoon ground cloves)
- 2 canned tomatoes (about a cup... if you use fresh you need to cook them down first)
- Big pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1/3 Cup cream
- 4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings like avocados, hot sauce, sour cream, etc.