I love the slow cooker (or Crock Pot)! Especially in the busy fall and winter months. When you can put something on, have it cook and smell yummy and not have to do much! Oh that’s perfection!
This Creamy Broccoli and Wild Rice Slow Cooker Soup totally works for the cooler months when you want something yummy, warm, and filling (and easy!).
This soup is great for a little variety too. You can throw in some ham or some bacon, to add a nice meaty smoky flavor. Throw in some leftover Thanksgiving turkey to help use up those leftovers.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup wild rice, uncooked
- ½ cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon marjoram leaves
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups half and half
- 2 cups broccoli florets, broken into small florets
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- paprika for garnish