“They seem to be really into these corncake things,” I said while perusing the restaurant’s online menu on my iPhone. We were in Portland, Oregon, looking for a place to eat breakfast on a weekday.
“Well, the menu sounds pretty good. Let’s go there,” said my friend. So we piled into the car and they let me sit in the front seat, even though that’s where the navigator sits and I am shit at navigating. It has to do with my short attention span and liking to watch scenery. I’ve accepted it. But I attempted to navigate us to the restaurant in a foreign city and only messed up once or twice. So, better than I expected. We parked and went into Vita Cafe.
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour (use gluten-free if necessary. I used Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour)
- ¾ cup cornmeal (use certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil or sunflower oil
- ¼ cup aquafaba
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecan pieces