The first time I ever tried frozen yogurt was with my grandma.
It was after a particularly frustrating day during my freshman year of highschool (are there any other types of days in highschool?). I’m not sure how she knew or if she knew at all, but after she picked me up from school, she suggested that we go to this new frozen yogurt shop she’d discovered in town. At that point in my life, I think I’d heard of frozen yogurt and I think I knew what it was, but I’d never tried it. My grandma had heard that it was like ice cream but lower in calories and thus “healthier” and since she’d recently lost 100 pounds and was trying to keep the weight off, she was all about healthier dessert options.
- two 16-ounce containers of plain, preferably unsweetened, vegan yogurt (I used So Delicious unsweetened cultured coconut milk )
- 1 cup raw pecans (if not using a high-speed blender, soak in warm water for an hour prior)
- 1/4 cup agave syrup (you may need to use less if you are using sweetened yogurt)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (skip if using sweetened yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon black cocoa powder (or just use 1 more tablespoon of regular cocoa powder)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt