So, the other day, I was just telling my love, The Chickpea, how it’s been ages since I’d had cornbread, and you know what he did? That’s right- he made me some cornbread, but in cute biscuit form! These little biscuits are a far cry from the cornbread of my youth, but infinitely better (not to mention, much more compassionate).
This recipe is based on Isa Chandra Moskowitz‘s Cornbread Biscuit recipe from Vegan Brunch. Let’s just say that Isa Chandra could kick Marie Callender‘s butt any day of the week (In a non-violent, cornbread cook-off sort of way). Staying true to my new beau, I replaced 1 cup of flour with chickpea flour, which added a little extra nuttiness and some extra protein to these lovely biscuits.
- 1 cup flour (I used unbleached white flour)
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Ener-G Egg Replacer
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk (or other vegan milk)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar