The taste is familiar yet somehow completely new. This gorgeous Scandinavian Style Smoked Salmon Chowder is everything you want a chowder to be. It’s slightly creamy, infused with aromatics, potatoes, spices and smoked salmon.
I have to admit, this chowder is a tasty change to the chowder I usually prepare. Although many of the ingredients are similar, Scandinavian cuisine includes an abundance of fresh dill and allspice in their recipes.
Scandinavian cuisine has always intrigued me. Ever since my dear friend, Maria, gave me her Aunt Dagmar’s Swedish Meatballs recipe, I’ve been hooked. Those tender and tasty gravy drenched meatballs are on a regular menu rotation in my house during the fall and winter months.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large leek (or 2 small leeks) finely diced (white and light green parts only)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4-1lb potatoes, cut into bite size cubes
- 1 large carrot sliced into 1/4-1/2 inch rounds
- Enough vegetable broth to cover the potatoes (about 3 cups)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 10-12 ounces smoked salmon, shredded or diced (not the lox)
- 1 bunch of fresh dill, chopped
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste