Summer for me is all about easy, seasonal meals that delight the senses and tame the hunger like my Apricot, Basil and Goat Cheese Pizza.
I call this playful food; because it combines such fun ingredients that play so well together. I have to admit, fruit and cheese are like long-lost lovers meant to be together. Whether they’re used in a sweet or savory recipe, they always happily compliment each other.
I like my pizza simply topped with just a few fresh ingredients. During the summer months I like to dress pizza with fresh made pesto from basil, arugula or spinach. If I’ve got a plethora of Swiss chard, kale and collard greens in the garden, I’ll often toss those into the pesto as well. Then I top it with fresh summer fruit and either feta, brie or goat cheese.
- 1-2 12-inch pizza crusts or pre-made pizza crusts, flatbread, Naan or pita bread rounds
- 1/2 – 1 cup traditional basil pesto or your own homemade pesto
- 4 apricots, pitted and sliced
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1 bunch basil, whole leaves only
- ¾ cups (6 ounces) lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon active-dry yeast
- 2 cups (10 ounces) bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar