There is nothing quite like Hugo’s barbecue shrimp with bleu cheese slaw. This is an impressive and simple barbecue shrimp recipe that’ll absolutely become a family favorite.
The first time I made this recipe I swear I could have sipped the barbecue sauce. It’s that delicious!
I first heard about this now famous recipe many years ago when I was working as a private chef and culinary instructor. I was scheduled to cook for a holiday party for my good friend, Michele, and her husband Ron. When we discussed the menu, they asked me to include their favorite barbecue shrimp recipe, Hugo’s Barbecue Shrimp and Bleu Cheese Slaw.
- 5 ounces Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
- 5 ounces soy sauce
- Strained juice from half a lemon (I used 1/2-1 tablespoon lemon juice)
- 5 ounces tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (about 3 ounces) Maytag blue cheese (I used Rogue Creamery's Smokey Bleu Cheese)
- 1 cup good-quality mayonnaise
- Lemon juice, to taste
- 1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
- 2 scallions, sliced thin
- Freshly ground black pepper and kosher salt to taste
- 36 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (I leave the tail on for easy eating)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup peanut oil (I use olive oil or coconut oil for grilling and ghee for pan cooking)
- 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce (see recipe above)
- 1 to 2 scallions sliced, to garnish
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, to garnish