Every new year I choose a “word” for the year. It’s a word to reflect on and possibly keep me on track or aspire to.
Last year I chose two words. I couldn’t decide. My husband would tell you the word “Decisive” should have been thrown into the collection. (I’d like to believe “indecisive” just means that I think creatively. My husband loved that explanation.)
However, I felt in some way, both words I chose reflected my thankfulness for friends and family and reminded me how much I value the people in my life. Connect and Listen . That last one is a toughie. And I bet you’re asking yourself “how’d that workout for you Karista?” Let’s just say I felt fairly successful at staying connected. “Listen” is a forever word. For me, a word that will be a continuous work in progress. I hope to master it someday. Not just listening to others, but listening to myself. Sometimes we know best, we just don’t listen.
- 4-5 cups of your favorite washed greens. I like a mix of seasonal greens.
- 1/3 cup assorted chopped nuts (pistachios, hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds, whatever you like)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- one sheet of wax paper or aluminum foil
- 1 cup mandarin orange slices, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions/green onions (I like about 1/3 cup. I love green onions and they are excellent for gut health)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste