Black bean and ham soup is one of my favorite comfort foods. For me, it shouts home cooking and all that’s good and right with the world. It’s full of delicious flavors that soothes the soul and most certainly delights the palate. A winter soup filled with smoky tender ham combined with organic black beans slow cooked to perfection. Add a healthy dose of cornbread or your favorite tortilla chips and life just got a little better!
I adore the Beeler’s brand Ham and Ham Shanks. Here in the Seattle area you can find Beeler’s products at PCC Natural Markets, or try your local meat market. Here is the website for more information on these tasty pork products. http://www.beelerspurepork.com/Products/BeelerProducts.htm
This is the perfect slow cooked weekend or even weeknight meal. It takes a few steps of prep, but once it’s all in the pot, just sit back, relax and enjoy the aroma.
Keep dinner simple… Enjoy the flavors of life!
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil, sunflower or safflower oil
- 1 large onion or 2 medium, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 whole clove
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 ham shank, about 2 lbs
- 1 lb black beans, rinsed and soaked overnight (substitute with organic canned black beans but drain and rinse them and add them at the end of cooking)
- Salt and Pepper to taste