Have you ever had one of those recipes that makes you stop dead in your tracks and ask yourself “how have I been missing out on this my whole life?” I had one of those moments Sunday evening after an earlier afternoon trip to the Farmer’s Market. I was with my fellow RD friend Jessi and we were drooling over the sweetest fresh strawberries. We obviously had no other choice but to buy 2 quarts each.
I told her I’d been wanting to make strawberry shortcake but was in the mood to put a slightly different spin on it. She gave me the “why would you want to change a good thing” schpeal followed by the “you could always roast the strawberries” suggestion.
- for the strawberries and whipped cream
- 1 1/2 lbs strawberries, tops removed and slice in half
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp agave nectar syrup
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- 4oz vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- for the biscuits *(makes ~6 biscuits)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp cold, unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp low-fat milk