Here’s a fact that anyone who has stepped into the kitchen with a rumbling tummy knows: Two slices of bread, plus cheese, butter, and absolutely ANYTHING ELSE makes for a seriously delicious sandwich.
Once grilled, melty cheese and buttery crisp bread become welcome hosts to any randomness you might have languishing in your refrigerator. Maybe it’s as simple as mustard and pickles, or as fancy-pants as a sliced turkey, basil, and apricot party.
To prove the point:
This Lasagna Grilled Cheese was one of the best things to happen to me and my cast iron skillet.
- 4 thick slices of sandwich bread
- 3 tablespoons salted or unsalted butter, softened
- about 3 tablespoons apricot preserves
- about 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- about 8 ounces Brie cheese (a good wedge will do)
- 1 yellow onion, cooked down in a bit of oil, salt, and pepper until soft and browned
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 8 ounces roasted sliced turkey
- olive oil for cooking