I really don’t think there is anything more comforting in the food world than a melty grilled cheese sandwich. It’s my favorite lunch with tomato basil soup! So when I made a big batch of my parmesan rosemary focaccia bread, I knew I wanted to make an amazing sandwich with it. This focaccia grilled cheese sandwich is a grown up, very Italian inspired version of the childhood classic.
My favorite ham and cheese got upgraded to prosciutto and smoked mozzarella with basil pesto sauce to bring it all together. I just lovingly layered those simple three ingredients on the focaccia bread.
- 2 slices focaccia bread *see post from 4/14 or use store bought
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto sauce either homemade or store bought
- 1/4 pound prosciutto thinly sliced
- 3 slices fresh smoked mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon butter for greasing the griddle