I love egg sandwiches and am always looking for new ways to make them. Here’s a creative version from superstar Seattle chef Tom Douglas. The recipe features lox (thinly sliced cured salmon), cardamom-spiked pickled onions and dilled cream cheese. All I can say is, “WOW!” If you like bagles with lox and cream cheese then you’ll love this recipe!
The best way to tackle the recipe is to make the pickled onions and dilled cream cheese ahead of time (or the day before) which will greatly speed up the sandwich-making process.
The recipe calls for gravlax (Swedish cured salmon) or lox (brined and cold-smoked). Both types of salmon have a delicate texture because they are uncooked, and both come thinly sliced in the package. Do not buy traditional hot-smoked salmon which is dense, flaky and fully cooked in a smoker…this is a totally different type of salmon product and would not work in this recipe.
The “Seattle” Sandwich with Cured Wild Salmon
-recipe from The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook by Tom Douglas
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
Here’s an English muffin sandwich with moist, salty lox, mellow herbed cream cheese, and the sweet- spicy kick of pickled onions. You won’t need all the pickled onions, but the leftover onions can be covered and refrigerated for several days. Drain and add them to salads or sandwiches. Try them on a tuna fish salad sandwich. You can make your own cured wild salmon or just buy lox or lox-style smoked salmon. – The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook
NOTE: CARDAMOM IS AVAILABLE AS PODS OR SEEDS. IF YOU BUY THE PODS (WHICH STAY FRESH A VERY LONG TIME), YOU WILL HAVE TO SMASH THEM WITH A SMALL HEAVY PAN OR THE SIDE OF A HEAVY KNIFE AND EXTRACT THE TINY BLACK SEEDS.
- -recipe from The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook by Tom Douglas
- Pickled Onions
- 1 small to medium red onion (about 7 ounces), thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds (see Note above)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Dilled Cream Cheese
- 4 ounces (1⁄2 cup) cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 English muffins, split, toasted, and buttered on top halves only
- 6 to 8 ounces thinly sliced Gravlax or Lox-style salmon (about 12 slices)
- Unsalted butter as needed for cooking the eggs
- 4 large eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black Pepper