For those of you that didn’t know, it just happens to be National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day. Yes, there is such a day. I think there is pretty much a day for every kind of food you could dream up….National Strawberry Ice Cream Day, National Popcorn Day, National Fig Newton Day…..the list goes on and on. I just so happened to come across the date for National PB&J Day when I was searching for a recipe.
I do think the combo of Peanut Butter and Jelly should be celebrated, though. There are not many other combos that are quite so fantastic; other than chocolate and PB, of course. In fact one report I read, said that the average American consumes 1,500 Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches by the age of 18….wowsers! Supposedly, the popularity of PB&Js soared after WWII because they had become a staple for the soldiers serving in the war.
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, softened
- 1/4 cup peanut butter, crunchy or creamy
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I would recommend either all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour, not plain whole wheat.)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (any milk product will work)
- about 3-4 tbsp of your favorite jelly or jam (I used Trader Joe’s blueberry preserves…..the more jelly, the better.)