The winner with 78 votes is.... Mississippi Mud Cupcakes. I voted for these because how can they not be completely delicious with chocolate chips, crushed Oreos, and chocolate cake?? I'm not a huge fan of chocolate, but luckily I was in a chocolate mood when I made these. They're perfect! Everyone loved them. So here you go...
ready for the ovencooling & looking good enough to eat topped with leftover chocolate frosting
Recipe from Cupcakes! by Elinor Klivans.
MY NOTES: I let my eggs and sour cream come to room temp (as usual). The recipe originally says it makes just 18 cupcakes, but I easily got 24. I microwaved my unsweetened chocolate instead of using a double boiler to melt it. I reduced the sugar to 1 cup.
Mississippi Mud Cupcakes
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (I cut back to just 1 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 1/4 cups crushed Oreo cookies (about 20 cookies)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (I used mini chips)