Twice a week.
Twice a week and there was no curing it.
It’s how often I drove to Small Cheval in Chicago and ate their life-changing cheeseburger.
Hey, cheeseburgers can be life-changing.
And this one definitely is! Small Cheval (and it’s larger sister restaurant, Au Cheval) is notorious for serving up the best burger in the entire country. And it’s no joke. It’s pretty unassuming and quite unpretentious but guaranteed, you will never in your life have a better burger. It’s just impossible.
- ⅛ cup of Dijon Mustard (Sir Kensington’s brand is preferred because the flavor is wonderful)
- ¼ cup of Mayonnaise (Again, Sir Kensington’s makes the best mayo and it’s natural with ingredients that are actually good for you!)
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- 1 teaspoon Beef Tallow (AKA Beef Fat; I found mine at Sprouts Market; I know they have it at Whole Foods. You could also just use butter, but the flavor will be a bit lighter.)
- 8 slices of American Cheese
- 4 Brioche Hamburger Buns (I found them at Whole Foods. I know Turano brand makes them as well.)
- ¼ Red Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Dill Pickle, sliced thinly (Try to find some without added dyes—scary!)