I love simple dinner recipes that are quick to fix and family friendly. This Spanish rice casserole with bell peppers, onions, celery, tomatoes, ground beef and of course rice has been a big hit around here.
I serve this with a side salad, some cut up garden tomatoes and cucumbers when they are in season or any type of steamed veggies. In a pinch, just the casserole will do for a quick weekday meal without any sides.
Leftovers make for a great burrito filling the next day for lunch.
From The Casseroles Made Simple cookbook
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 green bell pepper, cleaned and diced
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, cleaned and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced small
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 oz size) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz size) can tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1½ cups water
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper