Remember a few weeks ago when I waxed poetic about poached pears and chocolate sauce?
- Yeah, those were good. Like outstandingly good. Life-altering globe-changing world-peace-inducing kind of good.
- Yes, I said it: poached pears and chocolate sauce might just be the catalyst we need for world peace. Take that Miss America! (OK to be fair I kind of adore the Miss America pageant…)
- That being said I couldn’t just let my next batch of juicy perfect pairs off without a little chocolatey love, and since we’re approaching pie season I decided that hand pies sounded like the way to go.
- So what exactly is a hand pie? It’s pie filling wrapped in pie crust and baked…and it’s the size of your hand! Nate refused to call them hand pies this weekend though, insisting that they were empanadas. Here’s the thing: I have nothing against empanadas, but since it’s my recipe we’re going to go with hand pies today. Plus I think he knew that he was pushing my buttons with the empanada thing. That’s what hubbies are for, right?
- So these bad boys are addicting and crazy simple to make as long as you buy your pie crust (which I highly recommend) rather than make your own. That being said, if you have a crust recipe that you’re dying to make and you want to? Be my guest! I love homemade pie crust, but the reality is that I’m just not going to take the time to make it. Not when pears and red wine and chocolate are involved.
- PEAR, CHOCOLATE AND RED WINE HAND PIES
- This recipe makes 4 hand pies, so feel free to multiply accordingly!
- 2 large pears
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup red wine (pick your favorite, but make sure it has a good flavor)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 cup (4 Tbsp) of chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- sugar (to sprinkle on top)
- 1 9-inch pie crust (I found mine by the break-and-bake cookies at the store)