I’m on a BBQ chicken kick lately, can you tell? Maybe it’s because we’re in the last stretch of summer and I’m trying to squeeze out every last drop.
Apparently I think I can do that with BBQ chicken.
If you haven’t gotten enough BBQ goodness by the end of this post, I’ll be back on Friday with a recipe for some good, old fashioned BBQ chicken. See, I told you I was going a little over board.
But really, what’s not to love? This BBQ Chicken Corn Bread Pie combines my favorite corn bread recipe with a ridiculously good chicken topping that is sweet, spicy and smoky.
- 1½ C Bisquick Baking MIx
- ¼ C + 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ C + 2 tbsp cornmeal
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ C water
- 1 lg egg
- ⅓ C melted butter
- ½ C frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 Tb Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken (or about 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, chopped fine
- salt & pepper
- 1 Tb chili powder
- 1½ tsp cumin
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 Tb worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 Tb dark brown sugar
- 10 oz shredded cheddar or provolone cheese