For those of you not in the publishing world you may think it weird that professionally I am fully ensconced in preparations for the winter holidays. It is bizarre but true that while all of you are out there celebrating the longest day of the year I am thinking about the shortest days and the celebrating and culinary gluttony surrounding them.
I have just wrapped up recipe development [and testing and testing some more] for a great big dessert feature article. If I see another teaspoon of vanilla extract I think I may go over the edge! In fact I think I may have had a dream last night about my Kitchen Aid. I finally turned in those recipes yesterday. Phew!
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 1 bunch beets, about 12 ounces, preferably baby-sized, stems and greens removed
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon dry thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup non-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 14 cup mixed salad greens