Do you ever just wake up on a Sunday morning and want to bake to your little hearts content?
As a kid, my mom would bake something absolutely delicious every Sunday morning breakfast.
She’d make things like cinnamon buns, breakfast cakes like this one], croissants and ham, or a [wife saver [which I didn’t like much, but you can’t win em all, right?]
I woke up yesterday with a strong urge to whip up a warm breakfast that the two of us could enjoy.
I’d started experimenting with making my own cream cheese icing to replace the tofutti cream cheese I used for these, so I had extra sauce leftover for our breakfast.
- 2 cups finely ground almond flour – I use JK Gourmet
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 flax eggs [2 tablespoon freshly ground flax + 6 tablespoon water]
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 4 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup apple juice, room temperature
- 2 3 tablespoon yacon syrup – alternatively you can use maple syrup, I chose yacon for it’s slight molasses taste and lower GI
- 3/4 cup zucchini, grated – squeeze out the moisture over the sink
- 1/4 cup apple, grated – leave the peel on! – squeeze out the moisture over the sink
- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup dried apple or diced apples