Cut bacon into 3~5mm stripes. Pan fry the chopped bacon in a non stick pan till golden. Remove and drain on paper towel. Pan fry chopped onions in the same pan with the oil from the bacon till soft. Mix in the bacon and some freshly ground black pepper. Leave to cool.
Place egg yolks in a mixing bowl. With a manual hand whisk, whisk the yolks a little. Add in sugar and salt, whisk till the batter turns pale and thick (about 5 mins).
Sieve over the flour and whisk till the flour is fully incorporated. Do not over mix.
- (for 17cm tube pan)
- 3 egg yolks (use large eggs*)
- 10g caster sugar
- 3g salt
- 50ml vegetable oil
- 50ml water
- 80g cake flour
- 4 egg whites (use large eggs*)
- 20g caster sugar
- 2 slices streaky bacon
- 70g onion (about half a yellow onion), finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- (*I used eggs with a nett weight of 55g, about 20g yolk, 35g white)