For a long time I have promised myself that one day I would make a sourdough starter. A few weeks ago I finally did it. Let me tell you I was nervous. So much could go wrong. It didn't. After eight days I had a loaf of sourdough bread. I am still no expert. However, I want to reflect on the experience for me - and you if you are interested.
I am splitting my sourdough basics posts into three - making the starter, maintaining the starter and baking the bread . Below is how I made my starter. I followed Brydie's brilliant post How to Make a Sourdough Starter at City Hippy Farm Girl. In these posts, as a novice, I am including some basic information that might help me if I ever need to create a new starter.
- How to Make a Sourdough Starter at City Hippy Farm Girl
- Beginners Blog: Making a Starter from Scratch - sourdough.com
- Creating and maintaining your own sourdough starter - Emma Buehler in Backwood Home Magazine
- Raising a starter - Wild Yeast
- Gluten Free Sourdough Starter - Whole New Mom