What do you get when a potato and beetroot have a one night stand?
A purple potato, of course! Last week UK’s first ever fully inside and out purple potato, called Purple Majesty, landed on the shelves of Sainsbury’s and the media had a field day. Unlike purple sprouting broccoli this purple potato retains its colour when cooked. Here are some common/obvious questions that crossed my mind when I first heard about this piece of news:
Is Purple Majesty genetically modified? No. There are thousands of varieties of potatoes and some have deep red and purple colouring. Scientists from Colorado University have crossed these varieties and after two years of trials in Scotland these purple beauties finally became available to the public.
- 45ml (3 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 5ml (1 tsp) cumin seeds
- 5ml (1 tsp) mustard seeds
- 2.5cm (1 in) ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium-hot chili, finely chopped [optional]
- 5ml (1 tsp) turmeric
- 5ml (1 tsp) garam masala
- 1kg (2 lbs) potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 2.5cm (1 in) pieces
- fresh cilantro (coriander leaves)