Old School Comfort
One of the first recipes I shared here on Gluten-Free Goddess was our old school, homemade, family style mac and cheese recipe. I won't mention how long ago that was, or how old the recipe actually is, darling. I first learned to make it in eighth grade Home Ec class (does Home Economics still exist? Do they even teach cooking in middle school any more?). Aside from these ponderings, and the unnerving sensation of years advancing, rolling, as Warren Zevon says, like a rockslide down a hill, I've been craving this simple mac and cheese like mad lately.
So I thought I'd post our latest version of it. Seems like old fashioned comfort food is the medicine I need lately.
Maybe you do, too?
Karina's Homemade Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese
- 12 oz. dry gluten-free elbow macaroni, penne, or spirals
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded medium sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon gluten-free dijon mustard, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg