Light and lemony cookies for the holidays.
It is a vaguely unnerving thing to look back and see the past curving away behind you, blurring into a soft and distant memory. So often we food bloggers write about the future, imagining holidays- like Christmas (and lemon cookies)- perched in a hot, noisy apartment on a bright September afternoon, conjuring the stillness of snow and December candlelight. Such is the blogging life- often a life lived forward, imagining the new.
Today I sit in a Cape Cod winter rental, while morning fog wets the rusty color of the almost bare oaks outside my office window. We are searching for a more permanent home. Widening our scope to include Connecticut. Dreaming of a proper art studio (missing the barn we rented last winter). Ready to put down roots at last.
And wishing I had some of these Snowy Lemon Cookies.
Dusted with powdered sugar. Snowy Lemon Cookies.
Snowy Lemon Cookies Recipe
Recipe by Karina Allrich, posted November 2012.
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 3/4 cup potato starch or white rice flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest, packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Stick, coconut oil, or butter
- 1/4 cup organic agave or honey
- 1 free-range organic egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Powdered sugar for coating