In my quest to justify my massive collection of mason jars I have been canning so much this year! And I know there will be more to come. This unusual bread & butter style pickle comes from the new pickling cookbook, The Pickled Pantry: From Apples to Zucchini, 150 Recipes for Pickles, Relishes, Chutneys & More. It is a neat book and has a feature which should be well liked – small batch canning/pickling of one jar! No need to prep 6 or 7 jars or be faced with eating that much either. You can of course easily double or triple a recipe if you like!
- I doubled the recipe, but wrote it as presented in the cookbook below, for a single batch. Although she calls for each batch making 1 pint jar I found it made quite a bit more – with the doubled batch I got 4 pint jars. Maybe I could have packed the pickles tighter? Or that my onion was bigger? I don’t know. So your results may vary.
- Curried Cucumber Pickles
- 2½ cups thinly sliced pickling cucumbers, ends discarded (scrubbed gently before cutting)
- ½ onion, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a sweet onion)
- 1 Tbsp fine sea salt
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup sugar (used organic)
- 2 Tbsp raisins
- 1½ tsp mild curry powder
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds