Make sure all the veggies scraps are well washed. You don't want any dirt or grit in your broth!
Place all the ingredients in a large pot or dutch oven. Pour the water over top (start with 16 cups and add more later if needed). The chicken and vegetables should be completely covered.
Simmer uncover for 4-5 hours. Add more 1-2 more cups of water if needed. You can stir it occasionally, but it isn't really necessary.
Place a large bowl under a colander and drain the whole pot. All the chicken broth goodness will go into the large bowl. All the veggie peelings and chicken parts will stay in the colander. Now you can toss all of that in the trash.
- Skin/Bones/Cartilage from 1 whole chicken
- 1 large onion, sliced thick with peeling left on
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, smashed (no need to peel them)
- The tops & leaves of 3-4 celery stalks
- 2-3 large carrots, roughly chopped (can leave tops on)
- 3 large sprigs of fresh parsley (optional)
- 16-18 cups of water
- Make sure all the veggies scraps are well washed. You don't want any dirt or grit in your broth!