The casserole has been a weeknight dinner staple in American households since the 1950's. It is easy to see why...
They come together quickly.
You typically have your protein, starches, and veggies all together in one dish.
And more likely than not, they will make everyone in the household happy.
I love casseroles just as much as the next mother when it comes to feeding my family quickly and frugally. What I do not like is how unhealthy some of these casseroles can be with their cream of this and cream of that, and butter, and tons of cheese.
- 2-3 large chicken breasts, cooked & then chopped or shredded (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups white rice, cooked according to package directions
- 1 8 oz brick cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat.)
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1/4 cup Country Crock Spread, melted
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2-3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 dashes garlic powder
- 2-3 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp Country Crock spread, melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper