Every once in a while, the Southern husband goes where very few men have gone before him. He takes me to one of my favorite little spots, an adorable little tea house nearby that serves a real, honest to goodness English cream tea. Cream tea, for those of you who haven’t experienced the happiness of it, is when you get a pot of tea brewed from actual tea leaves, served with scones and clotted cream and jam, and some pastries…and tea sandwiches. All served in pretty china on flowery tablecloths with classical music in the background. Heaven on earth…especially the tea sandwich part.
- 6 slices firm white bread, crusts cut off and cut into quarters
- 12 large shrimp, peeled, deveined, cooked, cooled and cut in half length-wise
- 24 thin slices of cucumber
- 8 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed and at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill, plus extra for garnish