During the summer months, corn and zucchini are always in abundance. However, in our house, zucchini is also a bottom dweller on the list of popular summer veggies available. Yet every year, I plant one or two plants, which inevitably will provide more zucchini than anyone around here wants to willingly eat.
When I saw this recipe, I knew it was one I wanted to try. I also wondered if my husband’s love of fresh summer corn would surpass his non-love of zucchini. So I gave it a try. The result was a surprisingly fresh dish bursting with flavor. Even my non-zucchini-liking husband said, “I like this salad!”
You can eat this as a salad, side dish, even a light main dish. Perfectly good hot, warm, or cold, it makes for an easy summer recipe.
Pearl Couscous with Zucchini, Corn and Herbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup pearl couscous, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/4 cups of water or vegetable broth
- 2 cups finely diced zucchini (approximately 1/4-inch cubes)
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives