With the exception of New Year’s Day lunch which I’m hosting, I was a guest most of the holidays. The proverbial blogger/cook’s day off. But I did carry out 6 side dishes: the first 3 for holiday parties I attended and the last 3 for Christmas Day dinner.
First, the party carry-outs.
I like this photo which I took in optimum conditions before I left the house. I do not like a couple of the photos that follow which I took onsite when I was excited (means: had a few drinks, rushed to get a shot so people could eat, bad light, poor position, etc...).
- First, the party carry-outs.
- While this is not the traditional Pascualina found all over Buenos Aires (many are spinach-based and include whole cooked eggs), it’s pretty close. I used a frozen ready-made pie crust imported from Argentina which I found in a Latin supermarket. You can make your own if you’re so inclined, but the Argentine pastry is really delicious…I suspect because it’s made with lard and other things I don’t want to know about.
- 2 lbs broccoli rabe chopped, cooked, drained very well and brought to room temperature
- 3 ozs pancetta shredded
- 3 beaten eggs
- garlic, nutmeg, black pepper
- 15 ozs whole ricotta
- 1/2 lb fresh mozzarella shredded
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- egg wash