Potato salad has long been one of my favorite summertime foods. I can be completely content to eat a bowl of it and call it a full meal. Sadly, it’s not really a nutritional powerhouse. In the past I would add some lightly blanched green beans, but they are one of my husband’s least loved foods and so if I’m cooking with the expectation that he’s going to join me, I leave them out.
Maybe a month or so ago, I was pondering the topic of potato salad (truly, this is one of the ways that I spend my time) and the thought occurred that adding blanched cauliflower would help lighten it and make it a more acceptable meal.
- 2 pounds small red or golden potatoes
- 1 small cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 large red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 heaping tablespoon horseradish mustard
- salt and pepper to taste, plus more salt for the cooking water