A recipe for a cilantro-lime chicken soup inspired by a Peruvian classic with a spoonful of yogurt that allows this tangy potato, quinoa, and pea-laden soup a different dimension.
This was supposed to be a brothy soup full of chunks and chewy bits of quinoa. A cilantro slurry gets added in at the end, lending it a shade of green (you can add more cilantro if you really want your broth to pop). Once the yogurt was added, though, there was no going back for me. The yogurt played with the cilantro and lime, turning a brothy bowl into a creamy, yet not heavy meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound cooked chicken (leftovers work great here)
- 4 small to medium golden potatoes, diced
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 serrano pepper, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Greek yogurt, about 2 tablespoons per bowl
- avocado slices
- chopped scallions