You may substitute your favorite type of bread for the French bread...challah, croissants, etc.
I use a stand mixer (KitchenAid) to make whisking the custard quick and easy.
Instead of refrigerating overnight, French toast casserole may be baked immediately in a preheated oven.
Baking time can be dependent on the type of bread you use, how dry it was, how long it soaks overnight, etc. Different people may prefer this type of recipe to be moister or drier.
- 1 loaf soft French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (approximately 1 pound loaf, which will yield 9 to 10 cups)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons lemon zest, DIVIDED
- 12 ounces (about 2 cups) fresh blueberries
- 8 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract