I started 2012 with a resolve to make more layer cakes.
So, I made the sky high carrot cake for two (which turned out great). Then, I made the momofuku birthday cake (which had a few mishaps but tasted great nonetheless). In between the two, I made the lavender chiffon cake again for my for my friend’s birthday in March. And then there was the mascarpone meringue layer cake thrown in as well.
But, three layers had been the furthest I had gone with my layer cake resolution.
And then came this cake.
- 5 ounce (142 gm) fine quality unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2¼ sticks (250gms) unsalted butter, softened
- 2¾ cups (355gms) sifted cake flour (if using all purpose flour then measure 2¾ cup AP flour and remove 5 tbsp of the AP flour and replace with 5 tbsp corn starch)
- ¼ cup (23gm) unsweetened cocoa powder (not dutch processed- if using dutch processed add a pinch of cream of tartar)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup (190 gm) granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed (158gm) light brown sugar
- 1½ tsp pure vanilla
- 2 cups sour cream
- 4 squares (4 ounce) semi-Sweet Chocolate ( I used bittersweet chocolate)
- ¼ cup (60gms) butter
- 1 8 oz pkg. (226 gm) cream Cheese, softened
- ½ cup (62gms) confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
- 12 OREO Cookies, coarsely crushed (I used 13 and use a ziploc bag to crush the oreos)