Last weekend I went to a Memorial Day cookout with future Mr. Bites’ extended family. One of the side dishes brought to the party was Doritos Taco Salad. That’s right, Doritos Taco Salad. I swooned. I had seconds. I wanted to eat the whole massive serving bowl full. You know how people go nuts over the Doritos taco at Taco Bell? That’s how I felt about this salad.
When I got home I immediately googled it and a bunch of recipes came up that looked similar to the salad I was still dreaming about. I couldn’t wait to lighten it up with my own spin and share it with you all. I love the taco seasoned meat flavor with nacho cheese crunch of Doritos and the sweet, tangy, tomato-ey Catalina dressing. The original salad I tasted used French dressing, so you could certainly use that instead. Feel free to get creative and experiment by adding in additional ingredients if you like – beans, corn, black olives (will affect nutrition info). I kept it simple and it came out amazing, but there are tons of ways to customize it to your own tastes.
- 1 lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1 (1.25 oz) packet reduced sodium taco seasoning
- 1 medium-large head of iceberg lettuce, chopped into bite sized pieces (if you’ve never chopped up a head of iceberg before you can follow these directions)
- 1 medium-large tomato, diced
- 4 oz 50% less fat or 2% sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (such as Cabot)
- 4 oz nacho cheese Doritos, broken up a bit into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup light Catalina or French dressing (I used Kraft Lite Catalina)