Oh my goodness. I don’t post sandwiches very often because it often doesn’t feel like a “recipe” to me, but this California Club Sandwich made me change my mind. This recipe is hands down one of the best sandwiches I’ve ever eaten. I want to eat it every day. My humblest apologies, sandwiches, y’all can make pretty darn outstanding recipes and I will try not to neglect you so moving forward.
When I was trying to decide what I wanted to make today, nothing sound quite right. Eventually the concept of a BLT evolved into a California BLT (just add avocado) and that turned into a California Club (also add deli meat) until I knew I’d hit on my mental craving jackpot. Since avocado lends kind of a freshness already, I thought it would be fun to run with that and add a few other fresh flavored mix-ins to some low fat mayo and settled on lemon and basil.
- 8 slices center cut bacon (I used Wegmans regular slice center cut)
- ¼ cup low fat mayonnaise (I used Hellman’s Low-Fat)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil leaves
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- 8 slices light wheat bread (I used Pepperidge Farm Light Style Soft Wheat)
- 8 oz sliced deli turkey or deli chicken (I used Hillshire Farms Oven Roasted Deli Chicken)
- 1 medium avocado, cut into quarters (one quarter for each sandwich) and sliced
- 4-8 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices tomato