If you are looking for a simple side dish with a meal, consider cooking cabbage with spices. The subtly laced flavors of fenugreek seeds transform this often shunned vegetable into a wholesome, nourishing bowlful.
This is my mum in law’s recipe. I have been making this for many years now. The ease and convenience is what I love in this one. When I was first introduced to it twenty some years ago, I found the flavors intriguing and quite different that I was used to: which happens to be cabbage cooked with garam masala and ginger and also with fish head!
- approx. 8 cups packed (8 oz measure cup) finely chopped cabbage
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoon black or brown mustard seeds
- a small pinch of hing/asafoetida
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds/methi
- 2 whole dry red chilli pepper
- 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- about a teaspoon of salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup shelled peas (optional)
- Fresh cilantro/coriander leaves and lemon juice for garnish