Chilla or Cheela is a basic savory crepe made with lentils. It has no eggs, or dairy and is completely gluten free.
Often referred to as Vegetarian Omelette in some parts of India, Chillas provide the chock full of protein to those who are strictly vegetarian. For the others, it is healthy convenience.
In some parts of India make a variation of chilla/cheela called “puda” using semolina flour along with chickpea flour.
It is very interesting to note that they bear a lot of similarity with the popular Italian Farinatas!
- 1 cup yellow moong dal
- 1″ knob of fresh ginger
- 2 small green chilli peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric,
- a large pinch of good quality asafetida (hing)
- salt to taste
- red chili powder,
- 1 small onion chopped fine,
- fresh cilantro/green coriander, chopped fine –
- oil for cooking them
- : Chili Garlic Paste, finely shredded vegetables, fresh peas or whatever you think you want in them.