Is fall around already? But we have just begun to enjoy the lovely summer!
The unbearable heat of the summer is hopefully in the past here while we are soaking some truly wonderful weather and also some rain. It feels only like summer until I step into the markets and I can see the slow movement in the shelves. The warm woolens have taken the place of the whites and the pastels, the wooden boxes in the farmers market are filling up with the fall squashes and the boxes of candy corn – reminders that the mellow autumn is not far away.
- 3 cups sliced (approx.) pumpkin/butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 whole red dry chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1.5 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup walnuts, broken and lightly toasted
- salt to taste
- chopped fresh herbs (your choice) for garnish