The best chocolate cake I have ever made, seriously! Dark, moist, fluffy and a very subtle flavor of coffee is what gives this cake all the glamor that a chocolate cake may deserve.
The recipe is borrowed and adapted from Ina Garten of Barefoot Contessa. This is what she says about this insanely delicious cake: “This is the most fabulous chocolate cake that I’ve ever made,”…“It’s so easy and so moist and light. There’s buttermilk and a cup of coffee in the batter!…” I could not agree more. While I was baking and smelling the brewed coffee, I was actually thinking that this is going to be special chocolate cake catered to the taste buds of adults. I was wrong! My kids loved it and declared it better than any other chocolate cake they ever had.
- The best chocolate cake I have ever made, seriously! Dark, moist, fluffy and a very subtle flavor of coffee is what gives this cake all the glamor that a chocolate cake may deserve.
- I had no time to take any photos, so I was not going to blog about it. We got back some of the cake from the friends home, so fortunately I had part of the cake to take a picture of the next day. It would be totally unfair if I did not share this wonderful recipe.
- Some changes that I made other than leaving out the frosting:
- I did not have enough AP flour, so I used part all purpose flour and part self rising flour to which I had to adjust the amount of the baking powder.
- Used plain yogurt and water combined instead of buttermilk.
- Did not make a layer cake; baked the cake in a bundt pan.
- Coffee Flavored Chocolate Cake
- 1 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 cup self raising flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt + 1/2 cup water (or 1 cup buttermilk)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee
- For the Chocolate Ganache:
- 3/4 cup broken dark chocolate, or semi sweet chocolate chip
- 3-4 tablespoons cream or whole milk
- 1 tablespoon coffee granules
- Toasted walnuts to decorate