Cooked with fragrant spices used in Indian pickles, Achaari Murg is one of the most delectable of all North Indian dishes. (Achaar=Pickles, Murg/Murgh=Chicken). A chicken curry with a heart beat, the kind that will liven your spirits up!
- Cooked with fragrant spices used in Indian pickles, Achaari Murg is one of the most delectable of all North Indian dishes. (Achaar=Pickles, Murg/Murgh=Chicken). A chicken curry with a heart beat, the kind that will liven your spirits up!
- Indian pickles consists of numerous fruits and vegetables, (chili peppers, garlic, lemon/lime, mango, vegetables like carrots, cauliflowers, bitter melon, eggplants etc) and sometimes even meat and shrimp which are more popular in the southern parts of the country. The pickles in India, unlike the idea of pickles in the America, are loaded with spices and are preserved in oil. They are lip smacking good and an exotic way to liven up any meals. The pickles in India come in wide variety of flavors; so a pickle from the Northern parts of Indian will taste very different from the one in the Southern regions. The Achari Murg is a not a pickle and it is not preserved, but derives its name from the fact that it is cooked with all the spices used to make a North Indian pickle.
- This dish is usually cooked in pure mustard oil as most of the North Indian pickles uses mustard oil. The mustard oil gives the dish a very strong and typical taste and flavor, but if you do not have it at hand do not refrain yourself from making this. It will be milder than the traditional; besides the spices used will add up to the flavor.
- Below are the pretty, vibrant spices we are going to be using for this recipe.
- Achaari Murg – Chicken Curry with Pickling Spices
- Ingredients: (serves 6-8)
- 3 lbs skinless chicken on bone, cut into pieces (use any part – thigh, drumstick, breast etc)
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup mustard oil + 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or canola or sunflower oil) - [may be substituted with all mustard oil or all vegetable/sunflower/canola]
- 4-5 medium onions, peeled, halved and sliced into half moons
- 3 inch ginger, grated/made into a paste
- 12-16 cloves of garlic, mashed & minced/made into a paste