A sweet and refreshing spring time treat – lime cake filled and topped with luscious strawberry cream. A dreamy creamy cake which definitely breathes spring.
The inspiration of this cake is from Sunita’s Mini Lemon Bundts recipe. This recipe appealed to me with a certain sense of urgency, so much that I rescheduled or rather abandoned what I had to do and immediately set to bake this. Eggless, simple and with abundant space to innovative, this freestyle recipe gave my heart a flutter. I had lime, flour, cream and strawberries. So it was going to be a lime cake filled with strawberry cream – almost like a strawberry shortcake.
Of course any one else would have at least taken an effort to make it look pretty. But I am impatient!
- grated zest of 2 lime
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 2.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1.5 cups + 3 tablespoons milk
- 12 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup lime juice (juice of about 2 limes)
- For the strawberry cream:
- 20 strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 500 ml heavy cream, chilled + 4 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Preparation: (the steps for baking the cake is exactly as in the original recipe, except I increased the proportion and used all purpose flour)
- Pre heat the oven at 325 degree F and grease cake pan. (I used a spring foam-9 inch X 3 inch. If you want a taller cake for more tiers use a smaller pan).