Say it’s Thanksgiving. You’re meeting your new boyfriend’s parents for the first time and want to make a good impression.
- Because first impressions are important, right?
- So, after throwing all your clothes on the floor, trying on twenty different pairs of shoes, eating a slice of cake, doing jean-lunges across your living room, shopping online for new jeans and calling your mother, what do you do?
- You make butternut squash butter, that’s what you do.
- And then, just as you are licking the last sweet and spicy bit off your finger and wiping the last crumb of scone off your top lip, you decide this butternut butter would make a real fine housewarming gift!
- And then you make more. And tie a cute orange ribbon on the top, tucking it neatly into your checked luggage underneath your new jeans, cute shoes and favorite black dress.
- You’ve got this made.
- This butternut butter is sweet, rich and spicy (not to mention vegan!) and is absolutely delicious on toast, scones, muffins or swirled into a hot bowl of oatmeal on a chilly morning.
- Oh, and it takes only about half an hour to make!
- You can totally do this.
- First of all, you’ll need some roasted squash. Follow my instructions here.
- When cool, peel away the skins and toss in a blender/Vita-Mix/food processor with a half cup of brown sugar, two teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice, one teaspoon vanilla, a pinch of salt and the juice of one lemon.