I came home from a TV shoot last week armed with a box of the most incredible pineapples. The client required a specific Costa Rican pineapple, but since Cayenne and Queen pineapples are the only varieties grown in South Africa, I scoured Cape Town to find the biggest and greenest Cayennes on offer which was the closest I could get to matching the brief. As it turned out they had shipped a few cases of the said Costa Ricans which fortunately arrived in the nick of time on set.
When I have a lot of excess produce around, I like to develop recipes.
- I medium pineapple, very thinly sliced
- 50ml water
- 20g sugar
- 1/2 red chilli, sliced
- small bunch of mint
- 5cm piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- juice from half a lime
- 6 - 8 mint leaves very finely shredded
- 1/4 cup of pomegranate seeds
- pinch or two of sea salt flakes