I am thrilled to have be invited to blog for Woolworths this year as part of their Masterchef South Africa campaign. They are one of the main sponsors in the second season of the very popular TV series. I get to create 3 recipes over the season using a list of ingredients provided (see my first list below), and the rules are that I need to use each ingredient on the list (in whatever quantity) and I have olive oil, salt and pepper as the only additional ingredients to use. I just loved this challenge.
You will find my recipe on the new Woolworths Masterchef Hub.
My first list of ingredients initially intrigued me. The theme was bread, so I had that plus egg, cos (romaine) lettuce and salmon on the list (amongst other things). There was also ginger, which didn’t quite fit in with everything else so I had to find a way to incorporate it subtly. I thought of an option to grill the salmon with a crumb topping and serve this with a salad, or grill the salmon and serve it on en croute or in a sandwich, but in the end I decided to fully utelise all the lovely green vegetables and make the salad the main event. The list also included everything necessary to make a tasty mayonnaise.
Having seen last nights episode which was all about making a gourmet sandwich, perhaps this is what they had expected? Nevermind, they got it covered, and put together a stunning video on how to make a: Ciabatta with seared salmon, asparagus, poached egg and baby caper mayonnaise.
I’m a little pleased that I tried something different and this is my variation of a Caesar’s salad made with salmon. Its packed with flavour, has a good dose of crunchy elements and a tangy unctuous dressing. Its rather delicious if I may say so myself.
Get all the components ready and assemble the salad just before serving.
Recipe | Serves 2
- Having seen last nights episode which was all about making a gourmet sandwich, perhaps this is what they had expected? Nevermind, they got it covered, and put together a stunning video on how to make a: Ciabatta with seared salmon, asparagus, poached egg and baby caper mayonnaise.
- 3T sea salt flakes
- ½ tsp ginger, finely grated
- ¼ chilli, finely chopped
- 250g Norwegian salmon
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp seasoned salt
- 1 large head of cos lettuce, or 2 smaller heads
- half an avocado, thinly sliced
- 80g fresh asparagus, cut into thick pieces on the diagonal
- 1 large free-range egg yolk
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 60ml olive oil
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 – 2 tsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp capers, finely chopped
- 1 tsp of Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- ¼ tsp of seasoned salt
- half a loaf of of ciabatta, cut into slices
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp of seasoned salt
- rainbow black peppercorns, freshly ground